Serving Size: 4-6
1 tablespoon Canola Oil
2 cups Diced Onion
1 cup Diced Carrots
1 cup Diced Celery
2 each 28 to 30oz Cans of Tomato Sauce
1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tablespoon Salt
1 teaspoon Pepper
- Heat the Oil in a sauce pot, add the onion carrot and sauté or sweat until vegetables are brightly colored and steam is rising from the pan (approximately three minutes on medium-high to high heat).
- Add the tomato sauce brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Cook for 15 minutes on low to medium heat, stirring occasionally to avoid burning the bottom.
- Add and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- For “Marinara” Sauce, add a tablespoon of dried Basil, a teaspoon of dried Oregano and a teaspoon of dried Thyme with the cinnamon and brown sugar.
- For “Bolognaise” Sauce, begin by browning ½ to 1½ pounds (depending on how meaty you like your sauce) of ground beef or ground turkey in a saucepan, then add the rest of the ingredients for the “Marinara” sauce as outlined above.